Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of YANWATH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049080.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:32:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Eden (District Authority)
Yanwath and Eamont Bridge
National Grid Reference:
NY 50789 28168



9/179 Yanwath Hall 6.2.84


Fortified tower and hall. Early or mid C15 with C16 and C17 alterations. Walls of large blocks of squared pink sandstone; tower on chamfered plinth with string course, battlemented parapet and projecting water spouts. Hall and kitchen range have steeply-pitched red sandstone slate roof with large and small red sandstone chimney stacks; tower flat roof behind parapet. Low 2-storey, 5-bay hall range; left 3-storey rectangular tower. Off-centre studded plank door in C16 segmental-arched doorway within C20 wood trellis porch. At left the hall with C15 fenestration: a 2-light cusped-headed window and a projecting bay with similar windows on 2 levels, all with iron grilles. Extreme left small chamfered-surround window under C16 3-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned window with hoodmould. Over entrance a blocked C15 window opening (wrongly identified as a straight joint by RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, p.250) with inserted C17 3-light mullioned-and-transomed window; similar right window over a flue door and C20 casement. Right 2-light stone-mullioned windows on both floors under hoodmoulds. Extreme right small shaped opening, in firewindow position has been identified as a gun loop. Tower has small ground-floor chamfered- surround window under 5-light mullioned-and-transomed window and second-floor double-chamfered window. A right upper-floor garderobe loop. Turrets at each angle. Other walls of tower have similar windows, except for a C14 ogee-headed window which could be reused. Rear of hall range has off-centre early tracery-panelled door in moulded round-arched doorway under hoodmould. Right C15 2-light cusped-headed window in double-chamfered surround flanked by stepped buttresses. Extreme right C16 round-headed door gives access to internal entrance to tower; 2-light stone-mullioned window above. Left small chamfered-surround window and cross-vent stone. Upper floor mullioned-and-transomed window with round-headed lights. Over entrance a small ogee-headed opening, chamfered-surround opening and 2-light window, all blocked. Interior: Hall has C15 and C16 segmental-arched stone fireplaces. C16 stone doorways. C15 timber roof trusses. Drawbar tunnels to most exterior doors. Wall-mounted C16 painted clock face. Barrel-vaulted tower basement; spiral stone staircase and garderobe chambers above. C16 decorative plaster ceilings and Royal Arms of Elizabeth I. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, pp.250-2, plates 29, 50, 58.

Listing NGR: NY5078928168


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936), 250-2


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01238/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Bryan C Lindley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].