OWLETTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1049097
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
OWLETTS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OWLETTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:00:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
OWLETTS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Gravesham (District Authority)
Parish:
Cobham
National Grid Reference:
TQ 66510 68734

Details

TQ 66 NE COBHAM THE STREET 5/30 (north side)

27.8.52 Owletts

II*

Built in 1683/4 by Bonham Hayes. Red brick, moulded brick string course. Panelled parapet added C18. Steeply pitched hipped tiled roof. Narrow end bays project to form closets. Slight central projection. Seven sash windows and 3 dormers. Modern porch with re-set panelled door. Engaged Doric columns, pediment and semi-circular fanlight. Two steps with wrought iron handrails. Two massive panelled chimney stacks dated 1683. Lead downpipes with heads inscribed G.G.1754. Three sash windows and 2 dormers to east and west facades. Large modern single-storey bay to east. Central projection to north facade marking staircase with 2 tall "croise" windows with leaded lights and 3 ox eye windows above. Two projections added by Sir Herbert Baker in 1925 and C19 wing added at north-west corner. Internally fine staircase and plaster ceiling, bolection mouldings to fireplaces and panelling dated from 1684. In 1894 the house passed to the Edmeades family of Nurstead then by marriage to the Baker family until in 1938 Sir Herbert Baker who lived there gave it to the National Trust.

Listing NGR: TQ6651068734

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356759
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/09499/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clifford W Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].