CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1049165
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049165.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:07:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Scottow
National Grid Reference:
TG 26557 23740

Details

SCOTTOW TG 22 SE 7/9 Church of All Saints 16:4:55 - I Parish church; C14 and C15 restored. Flint with stone and brick dressings; leaded roof. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, continuous chancel. Embattled west tower of 3 stages, diagonal buttresses; plinth with flushwork; C15 west window 3 lights with panel tracery, alternate brick and flint voussoirs; cusped lights to ringing chamber; tracery lost to bell openings; cruciform lights to external stair-turret. Buttressed nave of 6 bays; south aisle with 3-light C15 windows restored in C19 with 4- centred arch over; alternate brick and flint voissoirs; external rood stair with stone quoins. North aisle C15 3 light square headed windows; blocked doorway to first bay with stoop to left. Clerestorey C19 2-light foiled head windows with alternate white brick and flint voussoirs. Chancel with C19 Decorated windows; Priest's door with ogee arch and finial. South porch of 2 storeys to first nave bay with flushwork to gabled parapet; restored doorway with castellated abaci under alternate brick and flint voussoirs; early C18 memorial tablet over doorway with semi-circular head, blank panel, apron with cherubs head beneath scroll support; vaulted ground floor to porch with green- man boss; nave doorway with continuous moulding, hood mould with figure stops. Interior. C14 north arcade piers of clustered shafts with fillets and hollows in the diagonals; south arcade of polygonal shafts with castellated abaci. South aisle roof with arched braces; tracery and shields in some spandrels, embattled wall plate. North aisle roof arched braces; principal beams with roll-moulding. Nave and chancel roof with arch braces; embattled wall-plate, plain ashlaring. Rood beam still in place. Circa 1400 tall, slim tower arch. Piscina having tracery with mouchettes. Nave wall painting of St. Christopher. Organ case with pieces of C17 carved wood from various sources dated 1641 and 1649. Font cover probably of c1700. Mostly box pews. Some pews, altar rails and pulpit with stone base by Butterfield (1857). Royal arms of William and Mary dated 1696. C17 lectern.

Listing NGR: TG2655723740

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224152
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04488/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].