CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1049230
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049230.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:57:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stibbard
National Grid Reference:
TF 98306 28428

Details

TF 92 NE STIBBARD

5/79 Church of All Saints. 6/3/59 II*

Parish church. West tower and nave gable with early work pre-c.1100 belfry of c.1300. C14 and C15 nave and north aisle, chancel c.1300, mid-C19 south porch. Flint with stone dressings, slated nave and chancel roofs with brick dentil cornices of early to mid C19. West tower inside west wall with blocked arch and blocked window above; traces of openings on exterior north and south, flint quoins on west. 4 Decorated 2-light belfry windows, 3 with tracery missing. West face with 3 massive C16 or C17 buttresses with brick dressings and knapped flint with galetting, central buttress obscures tower Decorated west window. Conical leaded roof with weather vane. Nave south with 2 3-light Perpendicular windows, two buttresses. South porch 1862 with stone banding, south door C14. Chancel one south c.1300 switch tracery 3-light window, north priest's door and one 2-light Decorated window; east window 5-light intersected tracery with cusping and at apex fully Decorated quatrefoil in circle. 4-bay north aisle 2- light Decorated east window with flowing mouchettes, one 3-light Perpendicular and one 3-light straight headed Decorated window, one Decorated north door blocked. West window 2-light Decorated. Interior 4 bay north arcade with octagonal Decorated piers with double hollow chamfered arches. 4 2-light Perpendicular clerestorey windows to north side only blocked on north side by heightened pitch of aisle roof in C19. C19 King post roof with plaster ceiling exposed principals. C15 poppyhead benches, restored. Rood beam with braces springing from stonecorbels with below painted dado of rood screen, both C15. Some panels incorporated in pulpit. Perpendicular chancel arch. Piscina, sedilia simply an arched recess. C19 chancel roof. Restored c.1862 by William Buterfield: see Paul Thompson, Butterfield, (1971), p.511.

Listing NGR: TF9830628428

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
223996
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Thompson, P, William Butterfield Victorian Architect, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10918/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].