CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1049239

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049239 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 22:03:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Briston

National Grid Reference: TG 06234 32573

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 03 SE BRISTON CHURCH STREET (west) 4/3 Church of All Saints. 6/3/59 II*

Parish Church. Largely Decorated church of c.1300 with early C19 roofs and bell cote. Flint with some carstone rubble, stone dressings, slated roofs. Nave and chancel, formerly with north aisle, nave clerestorey and west tower. West front presumably rearranged after demolition of round tower in 1785 with Decorated door and Decorated 3 light window with reticulated tracery. Set off angle buttresses. Stock brick bell cote of c.1800. Nave south side with one 4-light Decorated and one 3-light Perpendicular window. Blocked south door with outline of former porch roof visible. 2 buttresses, at junction of nave and chancel containing rood stairs. Nave north side with 2 re-used 3-light Perpendicular windows built up in former north arcade. Filled in clerestorey openings visible below brick modillion eaves of c.1800 roof. Chancel south side with one 3 light and one 2 light Decorated window and one 3-light straight headed Decorated window. South priest's door and single buttress. Chancel north side with one 2 light straight headed Decorated window With drip mould and label stops. Mid C19 single storey gabled north vestry. East gable of chancel with 2 set off angle buttresses and 5-light Decorated reticulated tracery east window. Interior: nave with filled in 5 bay north arcade with octagonal piers and double hollow chamfered arches. Chancel arch with semi-octagonal half-columns with battlemented collars and double hollow chamfered arch. Chancel weeping to north with c.1300 double piscina with cusped ogee arches and sedelia with cinquefoil ogee arches. Screen 1877. Nave roof of c.l8OO with open rafters and tie beams, chancel roof mid C19 coved and boarded. Mid C19 font.

Listing NGR: TG0623432573

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 223914

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing