This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1049270



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Raynham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 223885

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/53 Raynham Hall, north- 30/11/51 east service wing and wall.


Country House. Begun 1619, restarted on different site 1622, structurally complete by the death in 1637 of Sir Roger Townshend, patron and part architect with William Edge, stonemason. Anticipating later domestic Classicism of the post-Restoration May-Webb-Wren circle, yet combining retardataire Mannerist forms with advanced Inigo Jones Palladianism of the east portico. Case- ments re-placed with sashes with glazing bars, interior remodelled and service wing added by William Kent for 2nd Marquis of Townshend c.1731 after Kent's Houghton work. Red brick with stone dressings, slated and leaded roofs. Flemish bond throughout except for English bond south wing first floor and two bays on east front flanking the portico recorded in 1672 in a different form. Overall H plan, half basement, 2 storeys with attics. West entrance front 7 bay centre with stone dressed ground and mezzanine floor windows. Attic entablature with 7 windows and central pedimented gable with oculus and flanking half pediments. Central doorcase c.1680 in style, but cartouche of Sir Roger Townshend's arms. Ionic half columns with carved entablature frieze and open swan necked pediment. Outer arms of the H plan of 2 storeys 2 bays with attics and Dutch gables at each corner with modillioned pediments but unorthodox console supports of sinuously curved Ionic pilasters. South return of 7 bays with 3 attic dormers and central segmental pedimented doorcase with rusticated pilasters stylistically c.1680. North return of 3 storeys with 3 attic dormers and pedimented Tuscan Doric doorcase. East front 3 bay 3 storey stone centre related to Jones's Prince's Lodging at Newmarket design of 1619-21. Rusticated ground-floor, ashlared above with Ionic half-columns and modillion pediment. 3 ground-floor windows, Piano nobile Serliana arrange- ment, 3 window attic. 2 bay flanking wings with baluster parapets with ball finials. Outer Dutch gabled wings. Interior by Kent. 7 Bay, one and half storey Hall replacing original screens passage hall arrangement. On central axis behind east portico ground floor salon, first floor Beli sarius Room with c.1680 stucco compartment ceiling with Kent paintings. On ground floor to north Kent staircase with stone treads, metal balusters and painted panels. Kent dining room with Triumphal Arch screen. To south Kent dog-leg panelled staircase. In south wing 3 enfilade Kent rooms including panelled Library. To north service court with single storey brick wing of 3 bays and brick wall attached to north with ogee brick coping. Similar wing to south leading to service wing listed separately. See John Harris "Raynham Hall, Norfolk" in Archaeological Journal CXVIII (1961) pp 180-187.

Listing NGR: TF8821125755

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 118, (1961), 180-187
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

National Grid Reference: TF 88211 25755


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049270 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:13:05.

End of official listing