CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, MILL ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049353.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:02:26.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, MILL ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Norfolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TG 39100 26012
TG 32 NE
INGHAM MILL ROAD(east side)Church of Holy Trinity
GI Parish church.Well documented building history.Chancel circa 1340-44,founded by Sir Oliver de Ingham.1360 Sir Miles de Stapleton(Sir Oliver's son-in-law)founded Trinitarian Priory to north of church and rebuilt nave and aisles(licence to rebuild church,Calendar Patent Rells,1358-61,163,435).1456 tower commenced,1533 battlements of tower completed(wills,Norwich Record Office).South porch 1440.1875-76 church restored by J.P. Seddon and Ewan Christian:clerestory stage entirely of this period,and south aisle remodelled.Minor restorations 1969,tower restored 1986.Flint with ashlar dressings.Slate roofs.Three stage tower supported by flushwork diagonal buttresses.Flushwork plinth course with ogee arcade.Three-light Perpendicular west window.Square traceried ventilation panels to ringing chamber.Two-light belfry windows now without tracery.Double crenellated flushwork parapet angle finials standing upon octagonal turrets.Three light cusped reticulated aisle west windows.Square three storey south porch with diagonal buttresses.Sunk quadrant moulded entrance arch leads to lower porch chamber stone vaulted in two bay tierceron rib vault.Double wave moulded inner south doorway.Two-light first floor window to porch of 1969.Blocked two-light mullioned second floor window.Polygonal stair turret to north-east.South aisle supported on stepped buttresses,angled to east.Three three-light flowing aisle windows by J.P.Seddon.Four Flamboyant circular clerestory windows to south and north also by Seddon.South aisle east window blocked.Three three-light chancel south windows,restored but still mid C14.Centre window early Perpendicular,of lozenge type.Others with tracery of two four-petalled flowers.To west end of chancel under eaves a two-light rectangular window to south and north sides.Stepped side buttresses and Priests' door.Buttresses diagonal to east.Fine five-light flowing east window.One three-light C14 vesica window to north chancel.North side of church given up to priory buildings,now ruinous and fragmentary.Walls and staircases rise and cross each other.Parallel with north aisle remains of south walk of cloisters,the arches blocked.Interior.Five bay arcade consisting of lobed piers with filleted rolls between lobes.Round moulded bases on polygonal plinths balanced by round moulded abaci under polygonal capitals.Double wave moulded arches.String course below clerestory windows.C19 King post nave roof on false hammerbeams.King posts with arched braces to collars.Tall tower arch on two orders engaged columns.Plain chancel arch,double hollow chamfered.Octagonal Cl3 Purbeck marble font with two incised arches to each facet of bowl.Stem and eight orbiting marble columns 1876.Aisle roofs of plain rafter type and C19.No north aisle windows but at east end a blocked segmental doorway below a chamfered window arch,both originally opening into Priory buildings.Four-centred wave moulded recess to east.At east end of south aisle a blocked doorway.Central piers of stone chancel screen survive.Late C15 chancel stalls heavily restored.C19 hammerbeam chancel roof.Vestry entered through arched door in square surround.In spandrels encircled quatrefoils.Immediately east of vestry door wall monument to Sir Oliver de Ingham,died 1344.Stone.Originally a tomb chest with reclining effigy beneath elaborate vaulted canopy.Of canopy only western piers remain and fragment of vault.Plinth of tomb chest with row of encircled quatrefoils.Above an arcade of twelve weepers each in cinquefoiled niches.On tomb chest an effigy of Sir Oliver lying on bed of pebbles with crossed arms.Two angels hold helmet behind his head.To west are remains of buttressing of canopy,elaborately fitted with subsidiary vaulted statuary niches.Cusped tracery under nodding ogee arches with crockets and finials.Vaulting springers of canopy remain,cusped.Nave south aisle altar tomb to Sir Roger and Lady Margaret de Bois,died 1300 and 1315 respectively but costume details are circa 1340.Rectangular tomb chest with alternating large and small panels,the large with quatrefoils enclosing shields,the small with figures under canopies.At west side scene of Resurrection of Christ.Effigies of Sir Roger and Lady Margaret badly weathered and of rigid pose,not cross legged.Two indents of brasses survive,one to Sir Brian Stapleton under canopy with some brass work remaining,the other to a Knight and his wife,equally fragmentary.Brass inscription to Lady Elizabeth Calthorpe died July 33 1536 (sic).
Listing NGR: TG3910026012
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing