CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1049359

Date first listed: 16-Apr-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 20:15:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Sea Palling

National Grid Reference: TG 44057 26227

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 42 NW SEA PALLING CHURCH ROAD (west side) WAXHAM

3/44 Church of St. John 16.4.55

G.V. II*

Parish church. Nave C12 in origin, altered C13, remodelled C14 when chancel built (chancel now ruined). C15 west tower. Bequests for construction of south porch 1477 and 1485. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 3 stage tower supported on diagonal buttresses to ringing chamber. West window blocked with brick. String course between ground and ringing chamber stages. Square traceried ventilation panels to ringing chamber. Set-back belfry with louvred windows. Flushwork parapet. Polygonal stair tower to south-east. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. Roll moulded outer arch within square hood, the spandrels with tracery. Above is frieze of sheilds in diamond panels. In gable a statuary niche. 2-light porch side windows are C19. 3 2-light nave south windows. One buttress to east with brick repairs. Flat eastern nave buttresses. North nave blank except for arched lancet to west of rendered buttress and wave moulded north doorway. Blocked chancel arch : double chamfered with polygonal responds. Priests' door in south side. Interior. Tall blocked tower arch now with low doorway only. C14 octagonal font on ashlar plinth and circular brick base. Stem panels ogeed. Encircled quatrefoils in bowl. Blocked north door. Simple C19 nave roof. Banner staff locker in north wall and remains of round arched C12 window, blocked. Also in north wall fine wall monument to Thomas Wodehouse, 1571. Painted ashlar. Arcaded plinth. Tomb chest with recessed panels, each with further alternately circular or diamond shaped receses. In there recesses raised shields and emblems. Over tomb chest a depressed arch flanked by fluted and reeded Corinthian engaged columns. Arcaded frieze and cornice. Coffered soffit of arch.

Listing NGR: TG4405726227

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 223679

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing