This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1049380

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sculthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 223627

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 83 SE SCULTHORPE 5/126

6.3.59 Church of St Mary and All Saints (formerly listed as Church of All Saints)

II*

Parish church. Flint with stone dressings, tiled partly variegated roofs. Nave with south tower forming porch C14, north aisle C15, chancel 1846-7 by Raphael and Joshua Arthur Brandon architects, south aisle 1860-1 by Thomas Jekyll of Norwich architect. South tower serves as porch on axis with second nave bay. Early Decorated arch, second stage with single lancet belfry stage with Y-tracery window. Diagonally set buttressses, crenellation parapet with corner finials. No clerestory. South aisles with 3 pairs of lancets, chancel with lavish Decorated traceried windows and priest's door set in buttresses, east window. Three-lights. Variegated diaper pattern to chancel roof not repeated on north side. Nave west bay Perpendicular north aisle with3-light east and west windows, and 4 straight-headed 2-light north windows. Interior 4 bay Perpendicular north arcade with octagonal piers and double hollow chamfered arches. Three bay south arcade and arch dividing westernmost nave bay both by Jekyll. C19 nave and chancel roofs. Much mid-C19 stained glass including a 2-light William Morris south chancel window, a 3 lancets by Burne-Jones south aisle east window, 3-light Clayton and Bell c1860 nave west bay south window. C12 square font in north aisle with corner collonettes, beast mask to corners 3 interlace panels and a fourth with Holy Family and Adoring Magi under interlace arches.



Listing NGR: TF8995931911

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 89959 31911

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049380 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2018 at 11:58:41.

End of official listing