This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1049384

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brumstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Apr-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 223638

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 32 NE BRUMSTEAD THE AVENUE (north side)

2/3 Church of St. Peter 16.4.55

G.V. II*

Parish church. Early C14 nave, altered late C14, bequests to tower construction 1390. Chancel demolished and partly rebuilt 1827, re-roofed 1834, restorations 1866-67 (nave) and 1875 (chancel). Pebble flint with ashlar dressings. Thatched roofs. Western tower and continuous nave and chancel. 3 stage tower on diagonal buttresses with flushwork panels to base. Arched and moulded west door below 2-light reticulated window. Set-offs between storeys. Square traceried ventilation panels to ringing chamber (except to east). 2-light reticulated belfry windows. Crenellated parapet and 4 gargoyles. Nave supported on stepped side buttresses. Gabled south porch on diagonal buttresses. Arched and moulded entrance with semi-circular responds. Above is cinquefoiled statuary niche under square hood. Rebuilt brick parapet. 2-light reticulated side windows. 2 3-light cusped intersecting south nave windows. Similar north windows, but uncusped. Narrow 2-light ogeed window to east of nave windows under square hood. 2 eastern nave buttresses on south and one on north are of C18 brick. Diagonal eastern buttresses flank 4-light cusped intersecting east window of 1827. Interior. Narrow tower arch with polygonal responds on bases and with capitals. North and south doors have depressed wave moulded hoods on labels. Octagonal C14 font : colonettes between trefoiled stem panels; bowl with encircled quatrefoils. Boarded roof.

Listing NGR: TG3699726786

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 36997 26786

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049384 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2018 at 06:20:15.

End of official listing