This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1049418



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Barsham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 223510

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TG 93 NW BARSHAM WALSINGHAM ROAD 2/15 (west side) Houghton St Giles

6.3.59 Church of St Giles


Parish church. Largely C14 fabric rebuilt 1877 by William Eden Nesfield, architect. Flint with stone dressings and red tiles. West tower, south porch, nave and chancel. C14 tower with trefoil heads to each of 4 bell openings, with C15 2-light west window. South wall with an isolated lancet, a 2-light straight-headed perpendicular window and one 3-light perpendicular window; perpendicular south porch with four-centred arch and angle buttresses; wall table C18 on mid-point of wall; chancel south wall with one round-headed and one perpendicular straight-headed 3-light window. East window Curvilinear with cusping C14. North nave wall: north doorway, two 2-light cusped "Y" tracery windows and one 3-light straight-headed perpendicular window. Interior: perpendicular tower arch, no chancel arch. Nave roof of 1877 scissor-framed trusses closely set together. Perpendicular Rood Screen with elaborate double cusped tracery heads and painted dado with six female saints and six theologian saints. C17 Communion rails, Nesfield stalls.

Listing NGR: TF9237235362

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 92372 35362


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:09:21.

End of official listing