Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1049454

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jan-1984

Statutory Address: MANOR, FAKENHAM ROAD


Ordnance survey map of MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049454 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2019 at 00:15:33.


Statutory Address: MANOR, FAKENHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Barsham

National Grid Reference: TF 91707 33915


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



30.11.51 Manor (formerly listed as East Barsham Manor House)


Manor house built c.1520-1530 for Sir Henry Fermor. Brick rubble with much carved and moulded brick decoration; red pantiles. House of 2 storeys articulated with polygonal angle shafts and battlements. Two-storey porch, slightly off-centre. Four centred stone arch, with flint and stone chequer work angles at ground floor, but brick above; carved brick coat of arms, 3-light arched headed windows above: the architectural and decorative inspiration is thus still Gothic rather than Renaissance. Hall range to west with the three bays divided by angle shafts, with decorated bands and battlements; brick mullioned and transomed windows. Service range to east of 3 bays, the central bay built up into a 3 storey tower, possibly originally balanced by another to the Hall range. This range was largely ruined in the C19 and the house was restored in 1919 and 1938. At west massive stack of 10 chimneys.

Listing NGR: TF9170733915


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 223496

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing