Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049496.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:06:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 19903 37287


SUSTEAD CROMER ROAD TG 13 NE METTON 5/49 Church of St.Andrew 4.10.60 II* Parish church. Medieval. Flint and some ironbound conglomerate with brick and stone dressings. Slate and glazed black pantile roofs. Early C14 west tower, nave, north porch and early C14 chancel. Unbuttressed embattled tower of 3 stages. Archways, perhaps processional, through north and south faces, each with one continuous chamfered order; brick to underside of arch. West window of 2 lights with panel tracery; brick voussoirs; in larger opening now blocked with brick. Y-tracery bell-openings with alternate brick and flint voussoirs. Flushwork battlements; gargoyles. Buttressed nave of 2 bays; perhaps with angle buttresses, those to east now removed. Doorway to west has chamfer merging into arch with 2 rolls. South nave doorway with continuous hollow-chamfer. 2 3-light square-headed windows with panel tracery, that to east restored. One similar window to north. Unbuttressed chancel of 2 bays with one Y-tracery window to south and one 3-light window with square head and panel tracery; hood mould. No openings to north. East window of 3 lights with intersecting tracery. C19 north porch to first nave bay. Continuously chamfered nave doorway; outer order with chamfer merging into arch with wave. Interior. Large pointed opening to tower above doorway. Roll-moulded wall plate; corbels, those to north with figures. Roofs boarded in 1890. Ogee- headed cusped piscina with leaves to finial and head to base. Font with chamfered base and rounded bowl; support to rear. Brass to R. Doughty and wife d.1493 with 0.5m high figures.

Listing NGR: TG1990737286


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12972/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Warwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].