This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1049812

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Northrepps

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 224681

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 2439 NORTHREPPS CHURCH STREET

9/19 Church of St. Mary 4:10:60

GV I

Parish church. Medieval. Flint with stone dressings. Tile and lead roofs. West tower, nave,north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, vestry. Embattled tower of 4 stages, its building mentioned in wills,1475-87. Diagonal buttresses. Flushwork base. West doorway with chamfered reveal, arch with rolls and hollows with fillets; encircled quatrefoils in the spandrels. Frieze over, with crowned Ms and IHSs on panels alternating with knapped flint. West window of 3 lights with panel tracery, restored in hood mould C19, continuing to form string course. Square ringing chamber openings with cusped quatrefoil tracery; hood moulds. 3-light bell openings with panel tracery. Gargoyles. Battlements mentioned in wills of 1523 and 1526 again with crowned Ms and IHSs; finals with crockets. Stair turret to south east corner with quatrefoil lights. Nave of 4 bays. Buttressed north aisle with diagonal buttresses. North doorway with roll moulding; 2 C19 2-light windows under 4-centred arches with alternate brick and flint voussoirs, 1 restored window of 2 lights with square head; hood mould. West window of 3 lights with triangular head. Stone parapet. Lead roof. South aisle has similar windows but west window of 3 lights with panel tracery, east window of 3 lights with panel tracery. Stone parapet. North and south clerestoreys each have 4 2-light C19 windows under 4-centred arches with alternate brick and flint voussoirs. Buttressed chancel has C19 vestry to north. To the south 2 square-headed windows of 2 cusped lights with embattled transoms restored in C19; 2 lancets. C19 east-window of 3 lights. Buttressed south porch with single cusped lights with hood moulds to east and west. Stone parapet gable. Porch doorway has an outer order of continuous moulding enclosing shafts with polygonal abaci, the arch having wave moulding. Medieval arch-braced porch roof. Doorway to nave with roll and fillet moulding; hood mould. Door with C14 ironwork cross and hinges. Interior. C14 4-bay arcade of octagonal shafts, bases and abaci, arch with 2 chamfered orders. Nave roof greatly restored in C19; wall posts with polygonal bases and abaci on embattled corbels, longitudinal braces; traceried ashlaring. Arch- braced aisle roofs restored in C19. Large tower arch the full width of the tower has shafts with rolls in the angles, polygonal bases and abaci; inner order of arch on corbels possibly C19. Cusped piscina in south aisle. Stoup beside south door. Chancel arch with polygonal shafts and 2 chamfered orders. C19 arcade in north chancel wall. Small brick aumbrey. Large splays to lancets. C19 roof. Some re-used poppy-head bench ends, some box pews. Restored Medieval screen with paint removed, upper parts renewed. C18 pulpit. Arms of George III. Much restored C14 font with endircled quatrefoils on bowl.

Listing NGR: TG2445839065

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 24458 39065

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2018 at 01:51:43.

End of official listing