THE OLD SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1049850

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049850 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 11:16:56.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Baconsthorpe

National Grid Reference: TG 12667 36933

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 13 NW BACONSTHORPE SCHOOL LANE

7/9 The Old School 13.10.83. (formerly listed as The School, Church Lane)

II

Former school, now village hall, dated 1816. Pebble flint with brick dressings; hipped roof corrugated tiles to front, black glazed pantiles to sides, pantiles to rear. 3 bays with outshuts to rear. South front with chamfered brick cap to flint plinth, dentil cornice, axial stack to right; 3 windows with rusticated brick jambs, central window of 6 lights under brick pediment, inscription '1816 National School' within pediment; 3-light casement to left with moulded brick pediment infilled with pebble flint; later 4-light window to right under soldier arch. Large 5-light dormer window under hipped roof to central bay. Early C20 large 4-light windows with transoms to left and right returns. Entrance in outshut to left return having 4-centred brick arch containing fanlight with 3 vertical glazing bars above door. Interior: 2 rooms of 1 and 2 bays, boarded roof, wainscot. Plan of school unaltered since before 1867; left window and central pediment conform to sketch design of 1816 in County Record office. (Ref. P/BG/5 for 1867, PD 334/28 for 1815).

Listing NGR: TG1266736933

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 224562

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing