CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1049871
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049871.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:07:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Suffield
National Grid Reference:
TG 23319 31246

Details

TG 23 SW SUFFIELD

6/67 Church of St.Margaret 4:10:60 I

Parish church. Medieval. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch. 4-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Chequered flushwork base. West doorway with rolls and a fillet in the hollow; shields in the spandrels; hood mould. 3-light panel traceried west window; square ringing chamber openings with tracery; 2-light Perpendicular bell-openings. Stair turret to south east corner with quatrefoil lights. 4-bay nave. Buttresses to aisles with brick repairs to 2 south buttresses and one north. 3 3-light Perpendicular windows restored in C19 to south, rood stair to south east angle between aisle and chancel; to north 2 Perpendicular 3-light panel traceried windows under 4-centred arches. One cusped reticulated C14 window of 3 lights. East and west aisle windows of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil over, under segmental arches; 8 clerestorey windows to north and south of 2-lights restored in C19; alternate brick and flint voussoirs. Chancel with diagonal buttresses. 2 Y-tracery windows of c1300 to south; priest's door with undercut moulding to hood mould; 1 lancet. To north 2 Y-tracery windows; east window C19 with 4 lights. Sill band. Memorial tablet of 1723 having achievement to top, skull to apron. Buttressed porch with single cusped light to east and west; doorway with polygonal shaft and abaci; cusped niche over. Nave doorway has continuous chamfer moulding, hood mould with figure stops. Door with Perpendicular blind tracery. In porch a notification of Parish Food Organiser in the event of invasion. Interior. Octagonal piers and abaci to the 4 bay arcade; those to south later and restored; 2 chamfered orders to arch. Arch-braced roofs of 1868 restoration to nave and chancel; C16 arch-braced aisle roofs with tracery in the spandrels. Stoop with ogee arch beside north door. Rood stair. Tower arch has attached shafts and polygonal abaci. Outer continuous order of moulding (q.v. Hanworth). Chancel arch. Continuous chamfered archway, chamfered arch on corbels. Remains of aumbrey. Late C13 Piscina with Purbeck marble shaft and trefoil above. Rere-arch to lancet shafted. Remains of painted rood screen of C15 with dragons, beasts in the spandrels. Re-used poppy-head bench ends in chancel - rest of restoration of 1868. Octagonal font, the bowl supported by angels with instruments of the Passion. Tomb of 1584 in south aisle.

Listing NGR: TG2331931246

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224514
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/12971/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Warwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].