This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1049886

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Alby with Thwaite

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 224451

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 13 SE ALBY WITH THWAITE CHURCH ROAD,THWAITE

5/3 Church of All Saints 4:10:60

- II*

Parish church. Medieval. Flint and iron-bound conglomerate; stone and brick dressings. Slate roof. West tower, nave south aisle, continuous chancel, south porch, schoolroom. Round tower of c1300 with wide flint base; blocked brick doorway to south; Y-tracery bell openings. Nave quoins in conglomerate to north-west and south-west. South aisle has diagonal buttresses with flushwork and sunk panels. There are two references in wills of 1440's to the building of this aisle. One C19 2-light Decorated window and one late medieval triangular headed 2-light window both with alternate brick and flint voussoirs. Two 2-light C19 north windows to nave one under square head. Unbuttressed chancel without window to south. To north a schoolroom added in 1835. East window C19 2-light Decorated. South porch restored in 1893. Doorway to nave under 4-centred arch, hood mould. Interior. South arcade with octagonal piers. Piscina to south chapel. Nave roof of 1896. Doorway into tower. Lower part of C15 rood screen, now varnished. Pulpit with tester of 1624. Benches with flattened stylised poppy heads one with coat of arms on the shoulder, incorporated into box pew, one door with butterfly hinges. Brass to John Puttok died 1442 and wife died 1469. Plain octagonal font.

Listing NGR: TG1928433392

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 19284 33392

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049886 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 08:28:00.

End of official listing