Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049929.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:03:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 32797 21962


ASHMANHAUGH STALHAM ROAD TG 32 SW 2/8 Church of St. Lawrence 16.4.55 - I

Parish church. West tower lower parts mid Cll, remainder C12, C14 nave, C15 chancel, restored 1803. Flint with ashlar dressings. Pantiled roofs. 3 stage circular tower, the lower parts incorporating some ferruginous conglomerate and herringbone masonry. Renewed 2-light Y tracery west window above blocked lancet. Blocked arched ringing chamber windows with ferruginous jambs. Arched and louvred belfry openings. Plain parapet. Stepped side buttresses to nave and chancel. South porch with stepped gable (the gable renewed 1803) supported by diagonal buttresses. Hollow moulded entrance arch with hood mould below Perpendicular traceried statuary niche. 2 C14 3-light cusped lancet south nave windows and one early Perpendicular 3-light chancel window over priests' door. Brick eaves cornice to nave and chancel of 1803 re-roofing. Priests' door double wave moulded. Gables to set-offs on chancel buttresses, the eastern buttresses rising to form traceried plinths for now absent finials. Chancel east wall of coursed knapped flint with a dado of cusped ogee arcading in flushwork. C19 3-light east window. One early Perpendicular 3-light north chancel window. One C14 2-light north nave mouchette window to east of further, taller, window blocked with brick. Interior. Tall pointed tower arch, double chamfered in arch. Double chamfered chancel arch on semi-circular responds. Nave and chancel roofs of arched Gothic panelling above cornice with fleuron decoration. Roofs of 1803 imitating that in hall of Beeston Hall. Octagonal C19 font with encircled quatrefoils and tracery motifs. Interlace arcading to north nave dado of 1773. Chancel windows with filleted rolls to jambs. Wall monument in chancel to Thomas Preston 1658 : stone strapwork cartouche with bowed oval marble inscription panel below open scrolled pediment and achievement. Altar tomb to Francis Preston 1623 of alabaster and marble : marble pilasters and inscription panel between which are two relief strapwork achievements flanked by fruit clusters. Wall monument to Isaac Preston 1708 signed by Rush (of Norwich) : pilasters support curved pediment, on the shoulders of which stand flaming torches, on the apex an urn. Below inscription panel a foliate apron with cherub head. Wall monument to Alice Preston 1743 by John Brine (of London) : pilasters support curved pediment above which is broken pediment with achievement. Inscription in form of tomb chest with surmounting urn. Below a drapery apron with further valediction. In nave a stone cartouche commemorating the augmentation of St. Lawrence's rectory with land through Queen Anne's Bounty, 1741.

Listing NGR: TG3279721962


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04921/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].