CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1049932
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, IRSTEAD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049932.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 20:55:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, IRSTEAD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Barton Turf
National Park:
THE BROADS
National Grid Reference:
TG 36538 20464

Details

BARTON TURF IRSTEAD ROAD TG 32 SE (north side) 3/16 Church of St. Michael 16.4.55 - II*

Parish church. C14 west tower, nave and continuous chancel, C15 south nave aisle. Restored 1839 and, extensively, 1844. Flint with ashlar quoins and thatched roofs. Porch roof of lead. Unbuttressed 3 stage tower with string course below belfry. Plinth course at base. 2-light reticulated west window, cusped square ringing chamber ventilation panels and 2-light Y tracery belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. Nave and aisle with diagonal corner buttresses, flat to flanks. 2 storey gabled south porch with circular stair turret to west. Diagonal buttresses. Moulded entrance arch below ogeed and cusped statuary niche. Parapet. Wave moulded inner south doorway. Original door with lock. Porch now unfloored. 2-light reticulated side windows to porch. 2-light square-headed south aisle window, 3-light to east. 2 2-light reticulated south chancel windows and arched priests' door. Diagonal eastern buttresses. 3-light renewed reticulated east window. East gable head on brick kneelers. One 2-light reticulated north chancel window and another now blocked. Bulge of rood stairs. 2 Perpendicular north nave windows, both of 2 lights, one square-headed, the other under 4-centred arch. Interior. Tall double chamfered tower arch. C12 rere arches to north and south doors, the former with re-used chevron fragments. 3 bay C15 south arcade of lozenge piers with semi-circular responds and plastered brick capitals. Double chamfered arches. Aumbry in south-east chapel. C16 nave benches with poppy- heads and some animal arm rests. Octagonal late C14 font : figurative and animal sculptures against stem; panels of bowl with hand of God, head of Christ and others. C19 King post nave roof. C19 coupled rafter chancel roof with one tier moulded purlins. C19 rafter south aisle roof. Remains of painting of St. Christopher on north nave wall. Early C16 linenfold pulpit against which is mid C13 stiff leaf bench end with head. Crested dado of screen with 12 apostles painted on 4 panels. Chancel stalls dated 1663 with panelled and incised backs. Cinquefoiled piscina and plain sedilia in chancel.

Listing NGR: TG3653820464

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224347
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05266/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].