ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1049942

Date first listed: 16-Apr-1955

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1049942 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:50:39.

Location

Statutory Address: ST JAMES HOSPITAL CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Horning

National Park: THE BROADS

National Grid Reference: TG 37220 16312

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORNING TG 31 NE 8/46 St. James' Hospital Chapel 16.4.55 - II

Chapel to Hospital of St. James, the last pilgrimage stop before St. Benet's Abbey. Founded 1153, chapel built C14, dissolved 1539, converted to barn late C18 and altered. Coursed cut flint with ashlar dressings and brick repairs. Thatched roof. Rectangular plan with diagonal stepped corner buttresses and 2 stepped side buttresses to north and south flanks. Arched west doorway with C20 door. Hood mould hollow and wave moulded. Above is blocked arched window. Buttresses with flushwork. North side buttresses ruinous. Central segmental- headed C20 barn doors. To right and left one blocked C14 window with hood mould. Low arched recess to left, blocked with brick. South side with small central C20 access door flanked by 2 C14 arched windows as north. East end window also blocked, now with segmental-headed hay loft access door. Gabled roof with C18 raised parapets on kneelers. Interior. Window embrasures and some C14 jambs survive. Roof of tie beams, principals, 2 tiers butt purlins and curved collars. Scheduled Ancient Monument, County number 142.

Listing NGR: TG3722016312

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 224377

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing