Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050096.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:10:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Norfolk (District Authority)
Shelton and Hardwick
National Grid Reference:
TM 22098 91041


1. 5321 SHELTON LOW ROAD Church of St Mary TM 29 SW 9/1A 7.12.59


2. Circa 1487, built by Sir Ralph Shelton. Only the late C14 west tower and Decorated west window of south aisle retain from the earlier church. The late C15 church is red brick with blue brick diapering end stone dressings, ashlar clerestory, and slate roofs. West tower is flint with later brick parapet. Comprising nave and chancel in one, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. Large Perpendicular aisle windows. Nine Perpendicular clerestory windows on each side. Tall 3-light east window flanked by buttresses, with sacristy beneath. Two storeyed south porch, with entrance with Shelton arms in spandrels and tall niche above with canopy and single-light window each side, inside fan-vaulting begun but not completed. Interior: Four bay arcades plus smaller bays in chancel, the piers are lozenge-shaped in section with shafts and wave and hollow mouldings, 4-centred arches, panelled above arcade with niches over the piers. Rood stair turret in north wall of north aisle. Base of early Cl6 screen. C15 and Cl6 glass in tile aisle and east-windows. C16 bench ends with poppy-heads in choir, chancel chair is made up of bench ends. Early C17 communion rail. Carved Royal arms of William III. Octagonal font with 4 lions against the stem and lions and angels bolting shields in alternate side panels of bowl. Monuments: late Cl6 tombo-chests to Shelton family with shields. Monument to Sir Robert Houghton 1623 with kneeling figures.

Listing NGR: TM2209891041


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12037/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Withinshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].