This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST REMIGIUS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST REMIGIUS

List entry Number: 1050433

Location

CHURCH OF ST REMIGIUS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stoke Holy Cross

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 227204

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE HOLY CROSS DUNSTON TG 20 SW 4/66 Church of St. Remigius 26/11/59 II* Parish church. C13, altered C15, altered and restored 1898. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Nave and chancel rendered. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage unbuttressed west tower almost all C19. Stone quoins mimic Anglo-Saxon work. 2-light Flowing west window. Cusped ringing chamber window under square head. String course below 2-light cusped belfry windows within brick surrounds. Crenellated parapet with square section corner turrets and crocketed finials. Stair tower at north-east corner rises to ringing chamber. Diagonal buttresses to nave east and west. Much restored gabled south porch. North doorway. 2 C19 2-light Perpendicular nave windows north and south. 2 lancets to chancel north and south. Diagonal east buttresses and 3-light C19 east window. Interior. Tall tower arch with round responds. C16 nave roof consisting of wall plate with ashlaring and arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels from butt purlins. Ridge piece. Octagonal C15 font with 4 lions sejant against stem. Bowl panels alternate between rosettes and symbols of 4 Evangelists. C19 arch braced chancel roof. C15 chancel screen with Perpendicular tracery. Brass to Clare Talbot 1649 in Civil Costume with his 2 wives in shrounds flanking him. Inscription in ledger.

Listing NGR: TG2285402239

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 22854 02239

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050433 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 07:44:40.

End of official listing