CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1050437
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, NORWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050437 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 21:46:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS, NORWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoke Holy Cross
National Grid Reference:
TG 23583 00792

Details

STOKE HOLY CROSS NORWICH ROAD TG 20 SW (east side) 4/77 Church of the Holy Cross 26/11/59 II* Parish church. Mainly C13 with C14 alterations. Chancel re-roofed 1490 and east window replaced (may refer only to glass). 1501 south porch. Heavily restored 1879. Flint with ashlar dressings, the nave and chancel rendered. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage west tower with diagonal buttresses to west. Lancet west window and lancets to ringing chamber north and south. String course below belfry stage and 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows under segmental arches. Crenellated parapet. Gabled flint and brick south porch, restored. Rendered and chamfered brick entrance arch beneath 3-centred arch and hood mould. 2-light Perpendicular side windows. Moulded brick 4-centred arch over inner doorway. 4 C19 lancets to south nave, one of which is doubled. 3 C19 lancets to north nave, 2 of which are doubled. C19 gabled north vestry in porch position. In nave south wall a monument to Thomas Havers 1719. Segmental pediment to top carved with open book. Floral carved border to inscription panel. Beneath sill an apron carved with symbols of Thomas Haver's accomplishments and vocation : Theologia, Medicina, Chryrurgia, et Lythotornia. Chancel lit through one double and one single lancet to south and a 2-light square-headed Perpendicular window. Angle buttresses to east end. Stepped triple lancet east window, the lancets under running hood mould. 2 lancets to north chancel and a lean-to C19 outbuilding. Leaning against tower a C15 octagonal font with, in bowl panels, the signs of the 4 Evangelists. Leaning against chancel a head stone to Dorothy Burnn of 1653. Stone. Rectangular with inscription panel defined by oval incised scroll-work. Inscription in low cut letters remains legible. Interior. Arched tower arch. Fine scissor braced nave roof with ashlaring and wall plate. C16 chancel roof of arched braces dropping to wall posts and corbels. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. C19 chancel arch with polygonal responds. Double piscina within C19 trefoiled recess.

Listing NGR: TG2358300792

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227215
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03812/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].