CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1050438

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050438 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 05:44:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Surlingham

National Grid Reference: TG 30584 06514

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SURLINGHAM TG 30 NW 3/81 Church of St. Mary 26/11/59 II* Parish church. Early C13, belfry stage to tower mid C15 (bequests dated 1458 and 1466). Alterations C18 when chancel rebuilt. Restorations 1840. South porch 1859. Flint with ashlar dressings, some ashlar, some carstone and brick. Slate roofs. West tower, nave north aisle and chancel. 3 stage circular tower with additional belfry. Lancet west window. Blocked ringing chamber windows under brick hoods. Octagonal belfry stage with 2-light cusped windows to alternating facets. Gabled south porch with moulded entrance arch and single side lights. 2 late C18 2-light Y tracery south nave windows. Brick built chancel lit through a 3-light intersecting south window and a similar east window. Against north chancel wall is a vestry constructed of re-used ashlar blocks. One 2-light Y tracery east window. Sloping roof. North aisle has 2 brick buttresses and one lancet window. Lean-to outbuilding to east of C18 brick north doorway. Lancet west aisle window. Interior. 3 bay north arcade of circular piers on solid bases. Circular capitals support pointed double chamfered arches. Timber west gallery on 2 cast iron columns. Circular responds to chancel arch. The arch itself is C18 and 3-centred. Remains of rood stairs to north. Boarded and plastered roofs. C15 octagonal font against which are 4 lions sejant sitting on plinths. Bowl panels alternate between relief carvings of 4 lions sejant and angels bearing shields. Under bowl are 8 angel heads. Fragments of medieval glass in north aisle east window which is of 2 lights and looks into later vestry. Brass to John Alnwick 1460 in chancel. Figure in Academical dress with inscription. Also in chancel a chalice brass to Richard Louhawkys 1513. Inscription.

Listing NGR: TG3058406514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 227219

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing