RUINS OF TROWSE NEWTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1050445
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
RUINS OF TROWSE NEWTON HALL, WHITLINGHAM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUINS OF TROWSE NEWTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050445 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 05:40:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
RUINS OF TROWSE NEWTON HALL, WHITLINGHAM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Trowse with Newton
National Park:
THE BROADS
National Grid Reference:
TG 25345 07846

Details

TROWSE WITH NEWTON WHITLINGHAM LANE TG 20 NE (south side) 2/104 Ruins of Trowse Newton Hall 2/10/51 II Ruins of country house of Priors of Norwich, later of the Deans after dissolution, later a farmhouse. Mid C15, demolished C.1860. Flint and brick with ashlar dressings. No roof. Rectangular north range survives to first floor level with stretch of north wall revealing coursed flint and brick chequerwork style. Jambs of stone 4-centred window remain to east side of north wall with fragments of Perpendicular tracery. Further west is a 4-centred hollow and wave moulded doorway. West return of this range has 2 4-light window embrasures. Doorway to south return. Here and there patches of masonry can be discurned leading south to main-entrance. Large 4-centred ashlar doorway with double chamfered jambs and multiply wave moulded arch.

Listing NGR: TG2534507846

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227242
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/00519/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].