Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1050487

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1959



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WANDREGELIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050487 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 11:30:33.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Bixley

National Grid Reference: TG 25859 04964


BIXLEY -- TG 20 SE 5/1 Church of St. 26/11/59 Wandregeselius II* Parish church. Early C14 west tower, repaired early C16 and restored 1868. Remainder of church 1868. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, continuous chancel and transepts. Square unbuttressed 2 stage tower. C19 2-light Flowing west window. Ogeed lancets to belfry. Crenellated brick parapet. Polygonal stair turret to south-east corner with brick quoins. Gabled south porch with double chamfered entrance arch and large kneelers. 2 trefoiled lancets to nave walls and one double lancet. Gabled north vestry in position of north door. 2-light Flowing north window. Gabled south transept lit through a 2-light Perpendicular south window below a cusped triangular window. North transept is similar except an arched door replaces the principal window. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Interior. Tall chamfered tower opening with double chamfered stilted arch. Plain C19 octagonal font. 1868 nave roof of one tier butt purlins, collars and ridge piece. C19 screen of 2 bays right and left of central opening. Much cusped tracery in head. Quadripartite timber roof over transeptal chapel space before altar (reminiscent of that by S.S. Teulon at Brettenham, Norfolk, 1852). Fine Renaissance monument to Edward Ward 1583 : Ionic pilasters support pediment above strapwork frieze. Within pediment a coat of arms. Below frieze is a shallow 4-centred arch defining central panel between pilasters and within this is relief depiction of Edward Ward and wife kneeling at prayer desk. Behind Ward are 9 sons, behind wife are 3 daughters. Plinth of monument with strapwork decoration. Wall monument to Sir Randall Ward 1762 of stone and marble : 2 almost free-standing weeping cherubs flank inscription panel. Achievement in apron. Above is open pediment. Wall monument to Sir Edward Ward 1742 : 2 marble Corinthian columns support broken segmental pediment and frame inscription panel. In apron are 3 putti heads. Signed by Robert Page. Obelisk monument to Susan, Countess Rosebery 1771 : marble obelisk above stone sarcophagus. Plain.

Listing NGR: TG2585904964


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 227139

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing