CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1050489
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050489.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 23:31:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Bramerton
National Grid Reference:
TG 29597 04686

Details

BRAMERTON TG 20 SE 5/4 Church of St. Peter 26/11/59 II* . Parish church. West tower c.1300, nave and chancel C14, north transept is 1857. Restored, re-seated and re-roofed 1866. Local tradition holds that the church was built in 1462, reflected by White's and Kelly's directories and the will of Richard Medewe, proved in 1463, leaves 12d to the "construction of the church". Probably the building was partially reconstructed or altered at that date. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Slate roofs. 3 stage square unbuttressed west tower. Cinquefoiled western lancet. Blocked slit light to ringing chamber. 2 cusped Y tracery belfry windows with pierced Somerset infil. Plain parapet with corner obelisks. Embracing tower to north and south are rare extensions in the form of closed rooms, probably part of 1463 work, supported on diagonal flushwork buttresses. No windows. Plain tile roofs at nave height. Gabled south porch with stepped diagonal buttresses and moulded arched opening. Side lights are lancets, that to east under square hood. Plank and muntin south door. One 2-light cusped proto-Perpendicular south nave window. Stepped side buttresses to east end of nave, that to north side mostly removed on construction of gabled transept : diagonal buttresses, 2-light north window and 2-light east window. No west window owing to existence of a gabled C19 vestry built over north door and abutting transept. 2 C14 2-light south chancel windows with cusped 4-petal vesicas. The eastern one is reduced due to early C17 brick priests' doorway : moulded 4-centred arch within moulded square surround. One lancet to north chancel. Diagonal flushwork east chancel buttresses flank 3-light reticulated east window. Interior. Wave moulded low tower arch. Side rooms with traceried squints, that to north now blocked. Octagonal font bowl with, on the underside, fleurons and seaweed foliage carving. C20 octagonal plinth. Nave and chancel roofs of 1866 : arched braces from principals drop to head corbels. Moulded wall plates. Ridge piece and one tier purlins. False hammerbeam roof to north transept. Candle holders and brass reflecting plates survive. Rood stairs partly revealed to south side. Hollow chamfered chancel arch with circular responds rising to fluted capitals. Early C18 altar rails with tapering square section reeded balusters.

Listing NGR: TG2959704686

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227142
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01831/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].