CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1050541

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050541 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 12:50:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Little Melton

National Grid Reference: TG 15341 06912

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 10 NE LITTLE MELTON MILL LANE

2/58 Church of St. Mary 26.11.59 and All Saints

II*

Parish church, early C14, flint with stone dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel. Square tower with shallow diagonal buttresses; Perpendicular 3-light west windows; Y tracery bell openings (that to west with apex lost); embattled parapet with brick dressings. South nave rendered; south aisle with raised parapet to west, tar felt roof; 3 wide openings with Y tracery and lozenge under 4-centred arch; Y tracery to east of aisle. 2 scratch dials to south-east quoin of south aisle. South porch with gable parapet and pantiles; south facade with flint flushwork with late C15 brick, similar brick dressings; double chamfered arch with polygonal jambs; small lancets to porch returns. Plain chamfered south doorway with deeply undercut hood mould and king and queen figure stops. Shorter north aisle, east and west windows and 2 north windows as to south aisle. North doorway as south doorway. Chancel with two lancets to south, lancet and Y tracery opening to north; 2-light east window with reticulated tracery. Interior: 4 bay arcade to south and 2 bay arcade to north, both of C14 with octagonal piers, moulded capitals, double chamfered arches with hollow outer chamfers, foliage corbels to responds. Similar chancel arch. Chancel: roof renewed; double piscina and double sedilia; C15 painted screen with Decorated tracery to panels and ogee headed lights with Decorated tracery; altar rails of reused Decorated tracery with brattishing from C15 screen; return stalls incorporating panels with similar tracery; stalls with reused wood from panels of former screen; C17 table frame of unpolished wood with turned legs, each leg now with additional leg to match; frame supports repositioned mensa of Purbeck marble; east wall with metal commandment and credo panelled boards. Wall paintings on east wall, c.1300, of Annunciation with Archangel to left and Virgin to right; north wall with mural monument, 1656, to Richard and Bridgett Scottowe, black and white marble with heraldic cartouche above; below 4 small copper plates, C17 and C18, finely engraved to members of the Scottowe family (silversmiths), all framed in marble; south wall with mural monument 1718 to Thomas and Mary Johnson, white marble with convex face, sculptured arms below, flanking Corinthian columns. Nave: roof renewed; brick floor; pulpit of panels of C15 screen with Decorated tracery and brattishing as to Rails, two panels to interior with traces of pigment, one of a figure, north wall with wall paintings, one c.1300 of two seated ladies with rosaries: C13 octagonal font of Purbeck marble with shallow blank arcades to splayed faces, bowl supported by central column and 8 small colonettes. North and South aisles: some original rafters, north aisle with early baording; wall plates above arcades, that to south aisle moulded; stumps of former rafters below wall plates; stoup inside south doorway; curved steps from north aisle to former rood loft, former piscina to north aisle now in arcade respond, trefoil head with trefoils to spandrels. Some wall paintings to north aisle.

Listing NGR: TG1534106912

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 226943

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing