CHURCH OF ST MARY
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1050556
Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050556 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 17:30:31.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: TG 19901 02397
TG 10 SE SWARDESTON
5/102 Church of St. Mary 2-10-51 II
Parish church, Cll and C14, roughly coursed flint with stone dressings, lead roof. West tower, nave and chancel in one, south porch. Tower with embattled parapet with flint flushwork tracery and shields; galletted broken flint with diagonal buttresses having flint flushwork; polygonal stair turret to south-east; west window opening now of three lights with straight wooden mullions; small cusped single light to west and east faces; string course to 2-light bell openings under quatrefoil; string course to parapet. C15 south porch with brick dressings, gable parapet and cross; archway of 3 chamfered orders, niche above with C18 inscription "LET / these Instances / of Mortalitie / remind thee / of thy own"; returns with short Y tracery openings; 2 tier roof of butt purlins and collars, boarding renewed; yellow brick tiles to floor; south doorway of brick, 3 continuous mouldings and hood; C15 door with renewed battens, lattice and intersecting bracing to rear; part of arched stoup recess to left. South nave and chancel with 6 openings: (1) tall, undressed, double-splayed, semi-circular heaed Cll lancet; (2, 4 and 5) with cusped Y tracery; (3) 3-light window with Decorated tracery having a large flattened cusped lozenge under a 4-centred arch; (6) single ogee-headed light, below the renewed outline in brick of a doorway. North nave and chancel with 3 cusped Y tracery lights as to south, 1 short double-splayed semi-circular headed lancet; north doorway renewed in Portland stone with continuous moulding and integral stopless hood. East window of 3 lights with-reticulated tracery and brick hood mould. Interior: nave and chancel separated by early C15 screen with 8 ogee-headed single lights having roses to cusps, panel tracery and carved spandrels; dado panels lost or encased. Nave roof of 4 massive ties with octagonal crown posts with moulded capitals, no collars, some rafters renewed. 4 semi-circular headed low recesses to north, 3 similar to south and one segmental headed recess. Stone steps to south now to preaching platform. Plain octagonal font on fat octagonal stem, early C18 font cover of 8 turned colonettes supporting crown with ogee splats to central turned finial. Small trefoil-headed piscina to south of screen; stoup recess to right of north doorway. Canvas achievement to George II to right of south doorway. Chancel: roof rafters braced from wall plates, some timbers renewed; rood beam tie and adjacent rafters with medieval floral painted decoration; aumbry with segmental moulded arch, trefoil-headed piscina having small arched opening to west to recess of former doorway; small recess to right with column of pillar piscina. East window glass of 1917 in memory of Edith Cavell; priest's chair and chancel benches incorporating 14 C15 poppyhead benchends having borders of feathers or fleurons; rails of early C18 turned balusters. Tall tower arch with hollow chamfers to arch; 4-centred tower stair doorway with ledged and battened door.
Listing NGR: TG1990102397
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 226987
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing