This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1050600

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARYS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aldeby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 226781

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDEBY ST. MARY'S ROAD TM 49 SE 9/5 Church of St. Mary 5-9-60

GV I

Parish church. Fabric of C12 origin with C13 and C14 addition and remodelling. Flint, brick and limestone, with limestone dressings. Nave and porch slated, transept plain tiled, lead roof to chancel. Nave, north porch, crossing tower, north transept, chancel with south aisle. Nave west gable with staged diagonal buttresses; fine C12 west door with three orders of shafts with decorated volute capitals and an arch with orders of roll, zigzag and scallop mouldings. Much red brick and limestone incorporated in walling. Renewed 3-light window with intersecting tracery above doorway. Gable parapet with stone kneelers and gable finial. Good C14 north porch of knapped flint with base course of flushwork panels. 2-light east and west windows. Diagonal buttresses to porch gable with flushwork panels; apex of gable rebuilt or raised in brick. Archway with fleuron decoration to inner order. Square drip mould with shields on traceried grounds in spandrels. Niche with square drip mould above archway. Nave eaves line raised in red brick. 2-light window with cusped Y-tracery and round-headed restored lancet in north wall of nave. Square crossing tower on base of brickwork, the upper section of knapped flint dressed with limestone. 2-light Y-tracery bell openings much restored, with plain chamfered stone reveals. Double-stepped embattled parapet with flushwork panels. Polygonal brick stair turret on south side of tower. West wall of transept has two restored lancets with faint traces of blocked doorway between. 3-light north window with cusped intersecting 'Y' tracery. Two lancets in east wall. Chancel north side has renewed 2-light Y tracery and 3-light Perpendicular windows. Restored east window of three wide lights with intersecting tracery. Parapet of aisle east wall rebuilt in brickwork; east window blocked in red brick with small window with cusped head inset. Openings in south aisle much renewed; small priests door with brick archway, two renewed 3-light intersecting tracery windows with red brick buttresses between. South wall of nave has renewed 2 and 3 light windows with stilted hood moulds on head corbels. Interior: nave roof has a plastered barrel-vault ceiling. West wall of nave with battered internal offset at cill level of west window. C18 floor slabs to Elizabeth and Philip Carpenter and to George and Mary Lee. Tall, narrow north and south tower arches, with four plain chamfers, the outer three dying into a chamfered reveal. The north jamb of the arch dated 1633. Semicircular arches with wide chamfers to aisle and transept, the latter now blocked, and with a C20 door. Chancel roof C19 with arch braced principals and wallposts on corbels. C14 piscina and stepped sedilia at south-east corner. C19 wall monuments to Carpenter family on north and south walls. Two plain chamfered arched openings to south aisle. South aisle roof now boarded over, but displaying brattishing and carved heads on wall plate. Doorway to vestry in east wall with pointed-arched head and double wave moulding to reveal. Squint arch in south west tower pier. North transept roof plastered over, but revealing moulded and brattished cornice and arch-braced principals with wall posts. Two central trusses closely set. Archway to tower has arch of four chamfers, the outer three dying into plain square imposts. East and west doorways blocked, central pointed recess to east, semicircular headed to west. Floor slabs in chancel, notably to Matthew Trott (d.1652), Matthew Trott (d.1659). Font, octagonal on single octagonal riser: alternating roses and shields around bowl, head corbels below bowl, stem with eight attached shafts with moulded caps and bases.

Listing NGR: TM4505393309

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 45046 93310

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 12:47:33.

End of official listing