This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1050642

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shotesham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 226679

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 29 NW SHOTESHAM SHOTESHAM ST.MARY

6/102 Church of St.Mary 26/11/59 GV II*

Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and brick dressings. Pantiled roofs. West tower, aisleless nave with south porch and chancel with north chapel. West tower C15 or early C16 with much brick. Diagonal buttresses and canted stair turret to north. 2-light brick bell-openings with Y tracery (removed to south). 2-light traceried west window with mouchettes beneath segmental head. Former clock recess above and crow- stepped parapets with diagonally set finials. Nave south wall with some C12 masonry. C13 nave doorways (blocked to north) with plain chamfered reveals. Late medieval south door with a surviving iron loop-drop handle decorated with a pair of winged dragons and a pierced backplate. 3 nave windows of 1879 in Curvilinear style. C15 chancel and north chapel in galletted flint and stone rubble. Simple cusped 3-light east window with similar windows to south and to east of chapel. Sanctus bell. Chancel piscina surrounded by moulded tiles depicting swans, 2-headed eagles with crescents and rampant lions. Victorian reredos in Decorated style depicting Last Supper. Fine brass of 1521 with effigies of Edward and Elizabeth White. C15 octagonal font with angels and lions in panels, winged angel corbels and supported by lions. Arch-braced chancel roof with possibly original roll-moulded wall-plate. Group value in relation to Church of St. Martin (6/103).

Listing NGR: TM2378198826

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 23781 98826

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050642 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 02:14:14.

End of official listing