CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1050666

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050666 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 15:48:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Saxlingham Nethergate

National Grid Reference: TM 23137 97204

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following building:-

TM 2397 SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE CHURCH HILL

10/51 Church of St Mary the Virgin 26/11/59

GV II the Grade shall be amended to read II* (star).

------------------------------------

TM 2397 SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE CHURCH HILL (north side)

10/51 Church of St.Mary 26/11/59 the Virgin. (Formerly listed as Church of GV St Mary) II Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings Slate and leaded roofs. West tower; nave with north aisle and south porch; chancel with vestry to north. C15 west tower-with diagonal buttresses, 2- light traceried bell-openings and polygonal stair turret to north. Crenellated parapet with brick and flint chequered flushwork. Single handed chiming clock of 1794 on south face with flanking pilasters and a sun dial. Victorian west window and door. Main fabric of nave and chancel C11 or C12 heightened in late Middle Ages. 2 late Perpendicular 3-light south nave windows with embattled and cusped transoms and shallow heads. 2 2-light chancel windows with trefoil heads and Perpendicular 3-light east window. North aisle and vestry of 1867. Medieval south door with vertical fielded planks and cover strips. North arcade of 1867 in Perpendicular style. Cusped angle piscina in chancel. Remains of original Cll or C12 south door with springing of undressed arch from a plain impost of re-used brick or tile. C15 octagonal font with lions supporting bowl and lions and angels in panels. (Angels with re-cut heads). Important fragments of medieval stained glass.

Listing NGR: TM2313797204

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 226628

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing