THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1050667
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 20:29:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Saxlingham Nethergate
National Grid Reference:
TM 23109 97170

Details

TM 2397 SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE CHURCH HILL (north side) The Old Rectory 10/52 (Formerly listed as Rectory) 2/10/51 - II*

Former rectory. 1784 by J. Soane. Gault brick with slate roof. Symmetrical plan with opposing central segmental bays. 2 storeys with centre bay rising an extra storey. Cellars and attics. Former entrance facade to north of 3 bays. Central porch with fluted Roman Doric columns and pedimented entable- ture is a replica of original based on surviving drawings. Sash windows with glazing bars beneath skewback arches. Ground floor windows contained within semicircular headed arches. Narrow sashes beside porch. Garden facade with segmental bay of 3 bays with ground floor sash windows rising from ground level. Flanking Venetian windows with replica architraves and pediments. Simple modillion cornice. Interior. Winding stair with square sectioned balusters and mahogany handrail. Some original plasterwork. C20 service wing to east.

Listing NGR: TM2310997170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226629
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03811/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].