CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1050754
Date first listed:
20-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, WATTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050754 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 17:04:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, WATTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Colney
National Grid Reference:
TG 18074 07956

Details

COLNEY WATTON ROAD TG 10 NE (north side) 4/18 Church of St. Andrew 20.4.59 G.V. II*

Late C11 round western tower and aisleless nave with a C14 chancel. Very thorough late C19 restoration. Flint with stone and brick dressings and slate roofs. 2 blocked double-splayed windows on tower and C19 bell openings. Flat quadrant pilasters. Rubble quoins to north west angle of nave and one blocked double-splayed window above porch. 2 C14 south nave windows of 2 lights with foiled soufflets. All other tracery C19. C14 south door with moulded arch. Blocked C16 north door with chamfered brick voussoirs. C16 south porch with brick traceried windows. Tower arch, chancel arch, roofs and most-furnishings late C19 and early C20. C15 polygonal font with Evangelist symbols and Crucifixion and Flagellation scenes. Chest-tomb in chancel of John Tomson (died 1575) with fluted pilasters, simple volute capitals and a palmette frieze. Small Chalice Brass to Henry Alikok (died 1502) in chancel floor. C17 panelled chest.

Listing NGR: TG1807407956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226420
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01833/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.M Trendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].