WEST LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1050771
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
WEST LODGE, LODGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050771 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 12:28:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST LODGE, LODGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
South Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Easton
National Grid Reference:
TG 14094 11710

Details

EASTON LODGE ROAD TG 11 SW Lower Easton 1/58 West Lodge II* Former farmhouse of c.1600 with later additions. 1743 on facade hoppers. Brick with pantiled and slate roofs. L-plan Lobby Entrance house with central axial stack in main wing. Gable end stack on subsidiary wing. Main facade 1743 and early C19. 2-storeys with attics and cellar beneath northern half. 1743 5-bay arrangement turned into 3 bays with the C19 insertion of large arched tripartite sash windows. 2 leaf front door with rusticated skewback arch and flat hood on carved consoles. One surviving central 1743 window opening with raised brick surround. 2 dormer windows with moulded pediments and casements with leaded lights. Varied C19 and C20 fenestration on other elevations with C17 moulded brick pediments surviving. Single storey C19 extension with saw tooth cornice heightened later in the century. Original fireplace in subsidiary wing with chamfered stone jambs and wooden lintel. Principal beams with elaborate barred and double jewelled stops. One surviving beam on first floor of main wing with ogee stops. Original roofs with butt-purlins, collars and ties. Original cellar entrance at rear of main wing. Late C17 two ramp staircase with tapered and carved balusters; contemporary panelled cellar door. Main wing refurbished in 1743 with barrel-vaulted tunnel through stack, fireplaces and panelling.

Listing NGR: TG1409411710

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
226460
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].