CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1050928
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050928 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:46:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Burgh and Tuttington
National Grid Reference:
TG 21775 25052

Details

TG 22 NW TUTTINGTON CHURCH LANE, BURGH

Church of St. Mary 3/93 10/5/61 The Virgin. (Formerly listed as Cburch of I St. Mary, Burgh)

Parish Church. Flint with limestone dressings; nave, north chapel and porch roofs plain-tiled; chancel thatched. West tower C15, nave much restored C19, chancel of early C13, extended in late C19 by R. M. Phipson; chancel north chapel late C19. Angle-buttressed west tower; flushwork panels in plinth. Square sound openings on north and south with mouchette-wheel traceried panels. Large two-light belfry openings with louvres and panel tracery. Embattled parapet with shields and crowned 'M' motifs. 3-light Perpendicular west window flanked by niches at cill level. Polygonal stair turret in south tower wall. Nave south windows and doors C19 restoration. Chancel of c,1200 with two easternmost bays and east wall rebuilt in 1876-8 by R. M. Phipson : south wall with eight lancets in bays of 3-3-2. Bays divided by staged and gabled buttresses. East wall with three lancets with engaged shafts and capitals. Circular foiled window above lancets. North chapel C19, with two lancets in gable. Interior: important work of c.1200 in chancel : two tiers of blank Early English arcading. Each of the 8 upper bays, south side, pierced by a lancet with deep splayed reveals. Low-side window in lower arcade. Shafts with fine stiff-leaf capitals. Lower arcade apparently intended to continue further west, but interrupted by chancel arch. On the north side, a lower arcade of 7 bays surmounted by 4 bays, the two easternmost with lancets (C19). Fine C13 opening to north chapel flanked on each side by three shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and bird-carvings. Centre shaft on each side keeled. Chancel roof C19; arch-braced collars with collar-runner. Chancel arch re- worked in C19 with curiously-carved responds and attached shafts. Label-stops of chancel arch left as blocks. Step down into chancel from nave. Nave windows of two lights, one at high level on south side. Good octagonal seven- sacrament font on stepped base; the stem has four shields and four figures, the underside of the bowl carved with angels holding sacramental emblems. Tall tower arch of three orders of plain chamfers; chamfered reveal with broach stops. Good monument on north wall to Edmund Burr (d. 1720) and his wife (d. 1708).

Listing NGR: TG2177525052

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228052
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05267/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].