CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1050959
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1050959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 14:00:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Brampton
National Grid Reference:
TG 22974 24051

Details

TG 22 SW BRAMPTON OXNEAD

6/4 Church of St. Michael. 10/5/61 G.V. II*

Parish church. Flint with stone dressings, partly plastered; red brick additions; plain-tiled roof continuous over nave and chancel. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south porches, north-east chapel in ruins; lancet in east wall. C13 fabric with addition in late C16 and C18. West tower probably C13 in origin with late C16 upper stage with embattled parapet. Two- light sound openings with hollow-chamfered brick mullions and reveals. Stage- buttresses at division between nave and chancel. Two lancets and priest's door in south wall of chancel. Massive brick angle-buttresses at east wall. C18 crow-stepped brick east gable with H.S. 1711 in tie-irons. C19 east window with geometrical tracery. C18 south porch of brick, plastered over : pantiled roof with parapeted gable. C17 brick north porch with crow-stepped gable; semi-circular headed doorway with moulded brick, pilasters and entablature. Remains of rood stair in south wall. The chancel contains fine monuments to the Paston family : Sir Clement Paston (died 1597) : an alabaster tomb-chest with figure in full armour reclining on a half-rolled mat kneeling figure of his wife Alice. Lady Katherine Paston (died 1636) by Nicholas Stone; a marble bust on a pedestal with segmental pediment over.

Listing NGR: TG2297424051

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227964
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05267/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].