This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1051008

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Burgh Castle

National Park: THE BROADS

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 227752

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURGH CASTLE CHURCH ROAD TG 40 SE (south side) 7/17 Church of St. Peter 27.11.54 and St. Paul - II*

Parish church. Late C11 west tower. Nave and chancel retain C13 character but remodelled C15. North aisle 1847. South porch 1857. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Partly rendered. Slate roofs. Circular 3 stage tower. Lancet west window. No ringing chamber windows but lancets to belfry with brick surrounds. Top of tower rebuilt in brick below crenellated parapet. Diagonal stepped western nave buttresses. Gabled porch with moulded entrance arch. 2 2-light Perpendicular south nave windows flank a single lancet. Stepped buttresses to south flank. Lean-to north aisle pierced by 2-light Perpendicular windows. 2 3-light Perpendicular south chancel windows under square heads. North chancel partly obscured by gabled C19 vestry. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Diagonal stepped buttresses to east end. Interior. Tall chamfered tower arch. 3 bay north arcade of C14 style : tall plinths and piers formed of 4 lobes with hollows between. Wave moulded arches. Scissor braced nave roof with renewed timbers and decorated wall plate. Font reputed to be of 1387 but looks C15. Octagonal with 4 crouching lions against stem. Angels under bowl. 4 lions and 4 shield-bearing angels alternate to bowl panels. 2 high splayed windows over south door. Brick rood stairs, blocked at top. Wave, hollow and chamfered chancel arch with circular responds. Chancel has remains of one irregular wall arch to north and south, that to south interrupted to allow insertion of window. Bench sedilia and trefoiled piscina.

Listing NGR: TG4764004973

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 47640 04973

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051008 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 02:47:19.

End of official listing