This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1051020

Location

RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, TOWER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fleggburgh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 227687

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FLEGGBURGH TOWER ROAD TG 41 SE (north side) Burgh St. Margaret 7/17 Ruins of Church of 25.9.62 St. Mary (formerly listed as the remains of Church of St Mary) - II

Ruins of parish church. C12, altered C14, bequests to repair of tower 1459, nave and chancel re-roofed 1524 and 1526 respectively. West tower and fragments of north nave wall survive. Circular 2 stage tower with C14 octagonal belfry stage constructed of flint and some brick. North and south ringing chamber windows partially blocked. Arched west window to lower stage. Brick jambs to belfry windows remain showing that only alternate facets had windows. Triple hollow chamfered brick tower arch looks into nave. Mutilated north nave door opening and, further east, remains of one high window.

Listing NGR: TG4548214133

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 45482 14133

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 02:13:55.

End of official listing