THE OLD COURT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1051026
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
THE OLD COURT HOUSE, COURT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD COURT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 05:23:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD COURT HOUSE, COURT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Parish:
Rollesby
National Grid Reference:
TG4559315091

Details

ROLLESBY COURT ROAD TG 41 NE (south side) 5/38 The Old Court House

- II

Hotel, built as a workhouse 1775-76, enlarged 1818 and 1834, partially burnt down 1836, rear wing rebuilt 1922. Late C19 to early C20 partly used as a courthouse. Roughcast and whitewashed brick. Roofs of black glazed pantiles. H plan when built, western wing now demolished and 1922 wing on foundations of bar of H. East facade of 2 storeys in 9 bays, symmetrical except for late C19 canted bay to left. 2 central half glazed doors below pediments on brackets. Sash windows with glazing bars. Over right hand door an inscription in square panel : For the INSTRUCTION OF YOUTH, the ENCOURAGEMENT of INDUSTRY, the RELIEF of WANT, the SUPPORT of OLD AGE, and the COMFORT of INFIRMITY and PAIN. Gabled roof and 2 symmetrically placed ridge stacks. Interior is austere. 2 arches over passage leading from left-hand door. Upper floor has corridor to rear opening into rooms at front.

Listing NGR: TG4559315091

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227708
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13364/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Parker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].