TARN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1051067

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Statutory Address: TARN HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TARN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051067 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 00:00:42.

Location

Statutory Address: TARN HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle (District Authority)

Parish: Midgeholme

National Grid Reference: NY6057158482

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 60560 58480 NY 65 NW 7/69 1.4.57

MIDGEHOLME Tarn House (formerly listed under Midgeholme and Geltsdale) II*

Farmhouse, formerly tower house. Late C15 for Humphrey, Lord Dacre, with extensions and alterations dated 1843 over entrance and initials T.(&) M.H. on inscribed stone set into wall. Calciferous sandstone rubble walls, over one metre thick and in places 2 metres thick in tower; wall of tower raised by about 3 courses when gabled roof added 1843; graduated slate roof with eaves modillions, yellow brick chimney stacks on stone bases. 2 storeys; 3-bay tower with 2-bay extension under common roof. Tower has projecting stone gabled porch with plank door and dated lintel. Angle buttress to left, with probable filled entrance between this and porch. Original small filled ground floor window to right; small windows above are 1843. Rear wall has large footing stones and plinth. Original ground floor entrance is filled; windows all of 1843. Extension left has plank door with plain stone surround. Ground floor 2-light sash windows with glazing bars; similar 2-pane sashes above. Rear wall includes older stonework, which may be from the curtain wall referred to by Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p410-411. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, xi, p234, which refers to a document of 1485 mentioning 'a new built house called Ternehouse'. Overlooks Tindale Tarn and on a good defensive site.

Listing NGR: NY6057158482

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 78060

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 410-411
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 11, (), 234

End of official listing