BUTTERWICK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1051068

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: BUTTERWICK HOUSE, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUTTERWICK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 07:49:01.

Location

Statutory Address: BUTTERWICK HOUSE, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: West Butterwick

National Grid Reference: SE 83609 06017

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 80 NW WEST BUTTERWICK NORTH STREET (east side)

8/150 No 26 (Butterwick House)

- II

House. C18 origins, rebuilt 1833 for Capt. William Sowden Collinson. Alterations and additions of 1920s. Brick, stuccoed to front, left return and rear, and incised in imitation of ashlar. Pebbledashed to right return. Sandstone dressings. Concrete tile roof. T-shaped on plan: 2-room, central entrance-hall west front, 2-room rear wing with outshuts and C20 extensions to each side. 2 storeys, 3 bays; symmetrical. Plinth. Side bays break forward. Entrance has Doric doorcase with twin pilasters carrying entablature with moulded cornice and hood. Step to C20 part-glazed panelled door and overlight with margin lights in reveal. French windows to either side with margin lights, in reveals and architraves with entablatures and hoods. Left and right angles have frieze and cornice at first-floor level, with first floor stepped-in above. First floor: 2-light casements with margin lights in reveals and architraves with projecting sills on moulded brackets. Stepped frieze and moulded corniced gutter. Rainwater heads to angles dated 1833. Hipped roof. Side wall stacks with plinths, moulded cornices. Left return: angle pilasters to ground floor carrying moulded ashlar first-floor string course. Pairs of blind window panels to each floor with sills. Right return has C20 fenestration. Rear wing: east end, overlooking River Trent, has full-height canted bay with moulded stone first-floor balcony carried on moulded brackets, with C20 railings and first-floor glazing to original window with moulded cornice; modillioned gutter, hipped roof, stack similar to south front. Interior. Open-well staircase with ramped moulded handrail, plain stick balusters, turned newels and profiled cheek-pieces. Moulded cornices to hall and main rooms, deep coved cornice to first-floor rear room. Round arch to first-floor passage with fluted soffit. 6-fielded-panel and 6-beaded-panel doors in architraves throughout; panelled window shutters to front range. W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, pp 353-7; D L Roberts, "Lincolnshire and Humberside", in J Hadfield (ed), The Shell Book of English Villages, 1980, p 379.

Listing NGR: SE8360906017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 165214

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, J , The Shell Book of English Villages, (1980), 379
Read, W, History of the Isle of Axholme, (1858), 353-357

End of official listing