GREENHOLME LODGE AND FLANKING WALLS, WITH BOLLARDS TO RIGHT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1051090
Date first listed:
28-Mar-1984
Statutory Address:
GREENHOLME LODGE AND FLANKING WALLS, WITH BOLLARDS TO RIGHT

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREENHOLME LODGE AND FLANKING WALLS, WITH BOLLARDS TO RIGHT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051090 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 07:15:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREENHOLME LODGE AND FLANKING WALLS, WITH BOLLARDS TO RIGHT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Hayton
National Grid Reference:
NY 48556 57651

Details

NY 45 NE 4/62

HAYTON Greenholme Lodge and flanking walls, with bollards to right

GV II House, formerly lodge to Edmond Castle. Circa 1824, probably by Sir Robert Smirke. Snecked red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth, with pilastered angles, moulded cornice and battlemented parapet; green and Welsh slate roof, yellow brick chimney stacks. 1½ storeys, single bay on either side of carriageway with joining pointed arch. Large windows with pointed moulded surrounds; replacement glazing bars date from c1953. Entrances to each building from carriageway have plain stone surrounds. Side wall to building left has C20 windows in C20 openings. Gabled roof to each building to rear. Short screen walls of similar stonework to each side end in tall capped piers. Gates removed 1940 and drive now closed (no longer entrance to castle). Stone bollards in front of house, to right, with chains removed. A similar gatehouse nearer the castle has been demolished.

Listing NGR: NY4855657651

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
78053
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09867/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Thornton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].