TWO FREE STANDING WALL MONUMENTS AND HEADSTONE WITH BARREL TOMB, ABOUT 45 METRES NORTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1051093
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
TWO FREE STANDING WALL MONUMENTS AND HEADSTONE WITH BARREL TOMB, ABOUT 45 METRES NORTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TWO FREE STANDING WALL MONUMENTS AND HEADSTONE WITH BARREL TOMB, ABOUT 45 METRES NORTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051093 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 03:12:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
TWO FREE STANDING WALL MONUMENTS AND HEADSTONE WITH BARREL TOMB, ABOUT 45 METRES NORTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Thanet (District Authority)
Parish:
Ramsgate
National Grid Reference:
TR 36978 65352

Details

RAMSGATE HIGH STREET TR 3665 SE ST. LAWRENCE (north-west side) 6/208 Two free standing wall monuments and headstone with barrel tomb, about 45 metres north west of Church of St. Laurence GV II Wall monuments and headstone. Thomas Elgar, d.1851. Free standing aedicule of rendered masonry, about 8 feet high, with panelled pilasters and open pediment with demi-angel on foliate bracket (a Gothick device) and panel below with moulded architrave. About 10 metres west, on 6 feet high rendered brick wall, with pediment shaped cornice, and pedimented wall plaque, illegible, with apron missing. About 5 metres north of Elgar tomb a headstone to William Shottewoode, d.1806. About 4 feet high, with a heart-shaped recess carved with an eagle on a rock, with a sun to left and a motto to right. Barrel tomb attached.



Listing NGR: TR3697865352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
171837
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15700/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].