CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1051120

Date first listed: 05-Sep-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 19:24:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Brooke

National Grid Reference: TM 29397 99541

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 2999 BROOKE THE STREET

7/14 Church of St.Peter 5.9.60

- II*

Parish church. Medieval. Flint and iron-bound conglomerate with brick and stone dressings. Slate and tile roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel. C12 round tower with some conglomerate. Small round-headed windows to south and west with blocked slits above. Round-headed window at higher level to north. 4 bell-openings facing roughly north east, south east, north west and south west with rendered brick dressings. Polygonal parapet, chequerwork brick and flint. 3 bay nave with C19/20 brick buttresses to south; 2 restored windows of 3 lights with panel tracery under 4-centred arches, one with brick hood mould, one with C19 stone hood; brick relieving arches over both. North aisle, perhaps the 'new aisle' mentioned in Will of 1508. C19 west window of 3 lights. Doorway with continuous chamfer and hood mould. Square headed window of 2 ogee lights; one C19 3-light. Eastern aisle window with 2 ogee lights. Clerestorey of 8 C19 stone-dressed windows. 2 lead plaques. Chancel of 2 bays with C19/20 brick buttresses. To south restored priest's doorway with C19 hood mould with figure-stops. C19 2-light Decorated window. To north, one 2-light Decorated window. East window C19 of 3 lights. Porch to south nave restored with C20 brick. C19 2-light windows to east and west. Niche with brick reveals over archway which has shafts, simple capitals and chamfered arch. C12 doorway to nave has continuous inner order, outer attached shafts with debased acanthus capitals with imposts; hood mould with figure-stops. Medieval door. Interior. North arcade of 4 bays with one pier to west having continuous moulding, one octagonal pier with attached shaft to'east and one octagonal pier. 2 4- centred arches to west, 2 pointed arches to east. Stoup beside south door. Aumbry in south nave wall. Door to tower. Chancel arch with imposts. Arch- braced nave roof with angels holding shields, restored. Arched braced roof to aisle. Double piscina in chancel with triangular arches and free-standing shaft between. C19 fittings probably of restoration of 1849. Fine seven sacrament font mentioned in wills of 1466-8, defaced.

Listing NGR: TM2939799541

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 227355

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing