This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BETHEL HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BETHEL HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1051362

Location

BETHEL HOSPITAL, BETHEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Norwich

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 228798

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 2208 SE BETHEL STREET (south side) 22/61 Bethel Hospital GV II* Former Hospital, now Children's Psychiatric Clinic. Late C17 or early C18, with additions of C18, C19 and early C20. The 1899 rebuilding and repairs by E. Boardman. Brick and masonry dressings with plain tile and slate roofs. H-plan with closing north range and extensive dormitory ranges. The earliest block is 2-storey 'U' plan with north wings and a south facade of 7 irregular bays. C18 sash windows with glazing bars, flat hood on consoles with carved ends. Fronting Bethel Street, the north range, parallel to the original spine, was refaced and widened in 1899,into a 2-storey plus attic storey symmetrical 5-bay block, the ends of which were returned southwards to meet the north wings which were heightened to 3 storey. Sash windows throughout with rubbed brick flat arches. Masonry door surrounds. The central entry has a shouldered architrave with triangular head and an exaggerated keystone. Side lights with scrolled consoles beneath a carved oriel window. First floor Venetian window and second floor double sash window with apron. Semi-circular gable with masonry coping and quoins and an ironwork weathervane. Within, an extrance corridor has a coved ceiling with a blocked door surround and panelling of 1907 and leads to the original north door with primitive Ionic pilasters supporting a segmental pediment with a later inner door with semi-circular Gibbs surround. Cross and axial ground floor ceiling beams with nicked chamfer stops. Staggered butt purlin collar frame roofs with stopped-chamfer ties. 3 dormers in main spine and one in each of the wings. C19 ridge tiles. Later south wings effecting H plan. Both are 2-storey plus attic with arched recess in the gable, lunette with masonry arch and cill course. The west wing has smaller first-floor lunettes facing into the gardens Late C19 ground floor sash windows throughout and a single-storey bay on the west wing only. 4 small dormers on each side of each wing. The ground floor room in the east wing is decorated with an early - mid C18 heavy torus plasterwork cornice and a panelled overmantel with broken pediment above a later shouldered fireplace surround with female head and hanging cloth carved in stone. The room is lit by an extremely large sash window in the south gable. Roof construction allows the tie beams to be lower than the wall plate and allows greater attic space. Each truss has double butt purlins, collar and downward raking strut and overlaid common rafters added in C19 contemporary with ridge tiles and gable coping. The two-storey dormitory cell ranges were added flanking the width of the H plan and following the later Bethel Street and Little Bethel Street frontages. Sash windows throughout retaining original small panes. An inscription on the re- positioned foundation stone reads "This house was built for benefit of distrest Lunaticks An Dom: 1713.....Foundress was Mary Chapman, who lived there until her death in 1724."

Listing NGR: TG2272108455

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 22721 08455

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 05:47:19.

End of official listing