This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE ORANGERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ORANGERY

List entry Number: 1051434

Location

THE ORANGERY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Blickling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 228669

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 12 NE BLICKLING

4/10 The Orangery 19-1-52

GV II

Orangery, late C18. Probably designed by Humphry Repton. Stuccoed brick with shallow pitched copper roof. One storey, rectangular plan. South facade of nine bays, in each end bay an entrance set slightly forward under a pediment. 2-leaf glazed doors flanked by sidelights, all with glazing bars. Fluted frieze with paterae over doorheads with consoles below. Segmental fanlights with fine decorative glazing bars. Coade stone bands with guilloche moulding to arch imposts. Between the entrances, seven bays of tall sashes with glazing bars, divided by Doric pilasters. Rear wall of red brick with four high-level 4-light windows, off-centre doorway. Interior: simple moulded cornices to ceilings. Statue of Hercules c.1640 by Nicholas Stone, originally at Oxnead Hall. Ref: "Blickling Hall" The National Trust 1985.

Listing NGR: TG1811428408

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Blickling Hall, (1985)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

National Grid Reference: TG 18114 28408

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051434 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 09:07:53.

End of official listing