THE MAUSOLEUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1051437

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: THE MAUSOLEUM, BLICKLING PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MAUSOLEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051437 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 02:52:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MAUSOLEUM, BLICKLING PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland (District Authority)

Parish: Blickling

National Grid Reference: TG 16625 29463

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 12 NE BLICKLING BLICKLING PARK

4/16 The Mausoleum 19-1-52

- II*

Mausoleum. Built 1793 to a design by Joseph Bonomi, architect. Pyramid of limestone ashlar blocks on square base with later iron perimeter railings. East side has central doorway with 2-leaf panelled door, stone architrave and entablature surmounted by heraldic achievement. In the entablature, the motto AVCTOR PRETIOSA FACET. North and south sides have central square openings with moulded stone architraves. To the west, a square memorial panel with architrave and entablature surmounted by a bull. The tablet records that the mausoleum was erected to the memory of John Hobart, Earl of Buckingham (d.1793) by his widow and William Asheton Harbord. Interior: has domed vault with dentilled cornice; eight arched recesses, five of which are blind and contain tombs and wall monuments.

Listing NGR: TG1662529463

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 228675

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

End of official listing