WALPOLE'S ALMSHOUSES AND GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1051454

Date first listed: 26-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: WALPOLE'S ALMSHOUSES AND GARDEN WALLS, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALPOLE'S ALMSHOUSES AND GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051454 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 01:41:36.

Location

Statutory Address: WALPOLE'S ALMSHOUSES AND GARDEN WALLS, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland (District Authority)

Parish: Freethorpe

National Grid Reference: TG 40949 05444

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FREETHORPE THE GREEN (east) TG 40 NW 4/38 Walpole's Almshouses and garden walls. G.V. II Almshouses, dated 1871 of red brick with painted stone dressings and slate roof. 4 attached houses, formed from single storey central range with end cross wings. Symmetrical facade to road of 6 windows, a.b.c.b.b.c.b.a. Gabled porches (c) flanked by 3-light windows. Gothic entrance arches to porches with monogram above. 4 panel doors inside. Cross wing gable walls contain canted bays with hipped roofs and 4-light windows. Shields in gable heads. Gabled porches, flanked by blind 2-light windows in sides of cross wings. Windows have transoms, wrought iron casements and leaded lights. Central leaning buttress with plaque above. Pierced decorated bargeboards, fish scale decoration in roof slates which have fretted ridge 3 symmetrical axial stacks. Garden walls containing gates with Gothic arches project to rear. Central plaque inscribed "Erected by Richard Henry and Harriet Vade Walpole, for the use of 6 poor widows of the parish of Freethorpe. AD 1871".

Listing NGR: TG4094905444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 228615

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing