CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1051496
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051496 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 19:47:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
South Walsham
National Grid Reference:
TG 36582 13270

Details

TG 31 SE SOUTH WALSHAM THE STREET (north side)

5/59 Church of St. Lawrence 25.9.62.

G.V. II*

Former parish church, now redundant. Medieval church largely destroyed by fire in 1827, chancel rebuilt in 1832 and used for worship until c.1890. Flint with limestone and brick dressings, slate roof. Windows generally three- light with Perpendicular tracery; windows on north and south sides separated by staged buttresses with flushwork panels. Priest's door with four centred arched head under centre window on south side. West end largely rebuilt C19 with doorway on south side; above the doorway, a flushwork panel with shield re-set upside-down. Diagonal corner buttresses. Centre window on north side blocked in brick. Small three-light east window flanked by two vertical strips of brickwork, indicating a larger earlier window; projection of east wall at low level protected by slate roof. West wall has 3-light Perpendicular window re-set. Early C19 king-post roof.

Listing NGR: TG3658213270

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228507
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01066/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W.E. Butland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].